Monthly Archives: February 2010

Notes on Data Processing

I’ve begun the process of paring down the database into the form for final analysis (but remember, of course, that the full, unaltered data live on). So far, I have deleted entries that fit into the following categories: Extraneous entries … Continue reading

Posted in Miscellaneous | 11 Comments

Combination Complete

A huge thank you to all of the volunteers who helped to organize multiple entries for individual specimens into a single combined entry. This was an unglamorous task, but an important one for subsequent analysis. We got 243 combined specimen … Continue reading

Posted in Progress Reports | 1 Comment

The ODP: Just One of Many Citizen Science Projects

Anyone can do science – this firm belief is part of why we started the Open Dinosaur Project. In fact, as Matt noted some time ago, there is a whole world of “citizen science” opportunities out there! If you’re addicted … Continue reading

Posted in Publicity, Shiny Digital Future | 1 Comment

The Analyses Ahead

As we finish up combining the data, it’s time to start thinking about the specific analyses that we’re going to do. What are the specific questions we’re asking? What are the techniques that we need to address the questions? Some … Continue reading

Posted in Basics, Miscellaneous, To-Do List | 52 Comments

Home Stretch for Specimen Combinations

We’re on the home stretch for combining specimen data. . .I just updated the spreadsheet (accessible, as always, here); feel free to edit as appropriate to combine all of the final entries. Note that I have temporarily removed the already … Continue reading

Posted in Progress Reports, To-Do List | 9 Comments

Beware the Shifting Catalog Number

Those who have contributed to the ODP over the last few months know that a single specimen might have measurements featured in 2, 3, 4, or more separate scientific papers. In order to keep data entry and verification as transparent … Continue reading

Posted in Basics, Key Concepts | 4 Comments

Kudos to the ODP Contributors!

There’s a really fantastic article (with a great photo) over at Science Buzz, featuring ODPers Becky Huset and Neva Key on their quest for Camptosaurus limb bone measurements. Go check it out! Have you been featured in the news, on … Continue reading

Posted in Publicity | 1 Comment