Join the ODP
David Dreisigmeyer on Some (finalish) results! Fernando Racimo on Some (finalish) results! Museums and the Tric… on Key Concepts: Osteology I (The… William Miller on Some (finalish) results! Matt Wedel on Some (finalish) results!
Get an ODP T-shirt
- 117,410 hits
DisclaimerThe opinions expressed here represent our own, and not those of our employers or any other organization with which we are associated.
Monthly Archives: March 2010
Awhile back, I brought up the issue of how to handle specimens with multiple individuals, as well as juvenile individuals, and a lively discussion ensued. The general conclusions were: Any ratios must be calculated for individual specimens, not from Frankensteinian … Continue reading
A nagging problem in our dataset has been the issue of the Sauropelta edwardsi specimen AMNH 3032. Its tibia seems way, way too short (even for ankylosaurs), and it’s thus a bizarro outlier. So, I finally got my behind into … Continue reading
As the past two posts have attested, we are on the cusp of doing some actual, real-life analysis. If at all possible, I want to run the analyses using freely available, open source software. Fortunately, all of the major software … Continue reading
As a follow-up to our last post on thyreophorans, here are marginocephalians (ceratopsians and pachycephalosaurs) with some of their outgroups. Moving or removing the uncertainly-placed Stenopelix has little effect on character reconstruction.
Now that we’ve gotten a reasonable phylogeny hammered out, it’s time to start putting it to use! Just for fun, I used the (open source and free to download) program Mesquite to plot the femur:tibia ratio (as John Dziak had … Continue reading
I think we’re now converging on a cladogram that reasonably captures the current state-of-the-art. Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. The topology has incorporated most of the suggestions, and I think the nomenclature is finally up-to-date. As … Continue reading